Hello Beautiful Coily Queenz!
Every Coily Queen should feel confident inserting
and styling her natural clip-in extensions.
1. Co-wash hair
2. Comb hair
3. Moisturize hair
Plait Braids/Inserting Clips
1. Start with clean/washed wet hair
2. While hair is wet. Starting from the base of head, braid hair into single plait box braids until you reach the middle of your head (or until half of your hair is braided). Therefore the top of your head is free or unbraided.
3. Apply a curl defining cream (and water if hair has dried) to the ends braids.
4. Starting from the base of head. Insert clips to the root of the hair along a curved line across head from “ear to ear.”
5. After one curved line is completed with clips, start the second row of clips just above it. Each row should be about a quarter inch apart.
6. Continue to apply clips from base of head towards the top of the head, until all braids are covered.
Your hair must be moisturized prior to installing clips. This will prevent breakage. For more volume you may insert clips without braiding and leave your hair out.
Defining Curls of Free Hair/Inserting Clips
1. Part free hair in a single curved section from ear to ear around the head, separating a quarter inch of hair from the majority of the free hair. The quarter inch thick hair should fall toward the back of the head; the remaining majority of hair should be combed forward.
2. Apply defining styling gel (and water if hair has dried) to the quarter inch, thick parted section using the shingle hair method.
3. Apply clips to roots of the quarter inch section. (As you move closer to the front of your head, be mindful to place an additional part for styling).
4. Repeat steps 7-9 until the entire head it completed.
1. Cut hair extensions into layers.
2. Air dry hair with diffuser.
1. Co-washing and combing hair extensions helps give hair a natural look.
2. Comb hair extensions with a denman brush. Denman brush helps define curls and gives curls an extra bounce.
3. Moisturize extensions using Shea Moisture leave in treatment spray, (more on this product in product section)
4. Plait braids (size of a quarter). They don’t have to be neat or clean- don’t waste your time.
5. After natural hair dries, in addition to being left alone for days, it can become dry and or tangled. Plait braids to protect the hair by locking in moisture and stretching hair.
6. Remember to apply curl defining gel to the ends of braids so the ends of the braids will curl and blend in with clips.
7. There are many different hair defining gels. Be sure to use those that work well with your hair type; e.g.) eco styling gel, curl unleash gel, Miss Jessie's Multicultural Clear (additional info in the product section).
8. If you are unfamiliar with the shingle hair method for natural hair, it can be easily found on YouTube.
9. Cutting hair extensions into layers helps blend your natural hair with hair extensions, ultimately creating a natural body and shape.
10. When using a hair diffuser be sure to dry the ends and roots thoroughly. The diffuser adds fullness, bounce and helps shape/style hair. There are great YouTube videos available demonstrating the best ways to use a diffuser for natural hair.